Notice: String offset cast occurred in /sites/internet/internet3/application/vendor/Void/File.php on line 16
PDF Version (116.53 KB)
Organizations, both public and private, offer resources related to accessibility in the built environment and/or accessibility by design. These may include standards, guidelines and handbooks, or advisory services that assist individuals and organizations in meeting or exceeding building accessibility requirements.
The following is not a comprehensive list of available resources. In addition, applicants are not required to use these in applying for funding for retrofit projects under the Green and Inclusive Community Buildings Program provided they ensure that their project complies with the relevant building code in their jurisdiction. As specified in the Applicant Guide, new construction projects are expected to demonstrate how they meet or exceed the Accessible Design for the Built Environment standard (CAN/CSA B651-18).
Infrastructure Canada does not endorse and is not responsible for the quality of the information in these resources. Some of these resources are available in one official language only.
Finally, some organizations may charge fees to access a document or for services rendered. Where known, this is indicated with “$”. Infrastructure Canada will not be providing funding during proposal development to cover the costs associated with accessing the resources included on this list (whether marked “$” or not) or any others that may exist but that are not so included.
Government of Canada
- Enabling Accessibility Fund – flat rate information (2020) – tool for estimating costs of common accessibility construction projects
Provincial and Territorial Government Resources
- Government of Alberta, Barrier-Free Design Guide (2017)
- Government of British Columbia, Building Accessibility Handbook 2020: Illustrated Commentary on Accessibility Requirements: British Columbia Building Code 2018 (2020)
- Government of Ontario, Guidelines for Barrier-Free Design of Ontario Government Facilities (2016)
- Government of Saskatchewan, Building Design Guide: Barrier-Free Design (2019)
- Gouvernement du Québec, Normes de conception sans obstacles : Guide d'utilisation (2010)
Municipal Government Resources
- City of Calgary, AB, Access Design Standards (2016)
- City of Ottawa, ON, Accessibility Design Standards (2015)
- City of Mississauga, ON, 2015 Facility Accessibility Design Standards (2015)
- City of Richmond, BC, Enhanced Accessibility: Design Guidelines and Technical Specifications (2018)
- City of Winnipeg, MB, 2015 City of Winnipeg Accessibility Design Standard (rev. 2018)
- Ville de Montréal, QC, Accessibilité universelle des bâtiments municipaux (2017)
- CNIB Foundation, Clearing Our Path
- Coalition of Persons with Disabilities Newfoundland and Labrador, Universal Design Newfoundland and Labrador
- CSA Group, Accessible Design for the Built Environment: Implementation Handbook ($)
- Kéroul, Services aux entreprises / Services for Enterprises ($)
- Rick Hansen Foundation, Accessibility Resources and Rick Hansen Foundation Accessibility CertificationTM (RHFAC) program ($)
- Société Logique, Design Universel / Universal Design ($)
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: